We live in the age of data abundance and if used well these can provide insights that any marketer can leverage for result driven targeting. When you craft a data-driven content marketing strategy, it is more efficient as it helps in saving money, effort and time by delivering the perfect content to the target audience at the perfect time. Wondering how to get more out of your content marketing strategy with a data-driven approach? Then have a look at the following tips:
1. Understand your target customers
The more you know your target audience, better it is for your data-driven content marketing plans. You are required to know about their needs and choices and this includes a collection of varied sets of data. You can use Google Analytics to know about your consumer demographics like gender, location, age, income, and job title. This data will assist you in building customer personas which will help you in creating content form factors that will work for your TG. Often the issue for marketers is to figure content form factor that will appeal to its TG, with data this challenge can easily be addressed. Besides an insight into their buying behavior and cycle, some number crunching would also help in prioritizing the channel that the TG prefers helping in minimizing spillage.
2. Deep data analysis
The next important step is to go deep in collecting and analyzing data present on your website, the content available on the web along with your competitors and all keywords. Let's discuss in brief:
- Analysis of your website: Carry out a comprehensive SEO analysis of your website by using any of your preferred tools. Browse your site as well as a blog to know the type of content and topics, your audience likes.
- Analyzing content: This involves searching for all trending topics and types of content in your specific domain on the web, along with social media and various online forums. Try to make a complete analysis of those contents to know why they are working. This helps in generating content ideas that will mostly resonate with your target audience.
- Analyzing keyword: Try to collect maximum data about various trending keywords and this will assist you in coming up with many trending as well as relevant content topics thereby creating a data-driven content marketing strategy.
3. Create the right content format
Based on the data you have collected select the right content format. If data says that your audience prefers visual easy read to content heavy form factor. This being the case, you can create Infographics and not a white paper which is heavy on text. Moreover, it is important to generate precise and highly informational content. Remember these pointers while creating an informational piece of content:
- The title should be attractive and unique.
- Try to cover the topic with as many details as possible. Offer value to customers.
- Always maintain the required tone of voice.
All your statements should be backed by authentic data and you should keep the tone of your content conversational while expressing your views.
4. Set up a right delivery network for your content
The content you created will generate the required impact when it is delivered at the right time because timing is as important as quality. Here you can use the data about when, how and where your audience is staying online.
5. Keep an eye on your content performance
To know whether your strategy is working perfectly or not, you are required to measure its performance regularly. For this, you should:
- Supervise the audience's behavior, the bounce rate along with a number of any new or existing visitors.
- Check the alteration in the engagement level. If there is any negative change, revise your strategy based on data collected.
- Make use of analytics for calculating ROI.
Crafting a data-driven content marketing strategy indeed needs a lot of work but it is worth your effort as the conversions are more likely to enhance at a rapid rate. But remember, it's not like you set a strategy and forget about it. You should keep altering your plans on a periodic basis to achieve maximum success.