Biryani is a 2000 crore completely unorganized market with a few local players enjoying domination in major cities of India. Behrouz was launched in late 2016 as a premium Biryani (Digital only) brand in the country. The brand since its inception in July’16 has grown to over 150 crore brand in a mere span of 2 years. The objective of the campaign was to generate awareness & interest by creating intrigue around the brand.
The primary role of the campaign was to create awareness in 25-40 SEC A, B1 consumers across 15 cities (Pre-campaign awareness was at 14%) by making Behrouz as a default preference for Celebrations & Special occasions.
Identifying the right target group
Behrouz being a PREMIUM biryani brand, the intent was to reach 25-40 SEC A, B1 consumers across 15 cities by making it a default preference for celebrations and special occasions. In addition to Geo-targeting, we identified the following data points which helped us identify and target our customers in a more intelligent way:
a. Financial Services & Travel Affinity segments have good traffic and highest conversion
b. Age group 25-35 have 60% of the traffic with a higher propensity to purchase
The need was to convey the brand persona by creating a story around the tagline: ‘The Biryani that was worth a war, Is definitely worth a try!’. An ad was filmed with delicious shots and voiced by Raza Murad.
We wanted to create top of mind recall for Behrouz in the Biryani category as a Digital ONLY brand.
Google analytics Data suggested that people who are in the in-market categories of travel & investment had the highest conversion rates, we used this data to target people along with those who order from Swiggy, Zomato.
We were the Associate Sponsor for Asia Cup on Hotstar. As a part of the campaign, we did target mid-rolls between 7-10 pm to our TG. We also took the Super6 property during the tournament
Influencer Marketing (10%)
Extensively leveraged influencers to tweet about our campaigns & also review the Food. Ran #spottheroyalbiryani contests in the cities in which we had hoardings & gratified users.
The campaign increased brand awareness by huge numbers. Here are some of the figures which bowled us over.
- Overall 150cr + brand (3x revenue growth in 6 months of the campaign)
- 100mn+ digital impressions
- #1 Trending on Twitter in Mumbai (15mn impressions)
- Behrouz brand keywords are 30% of biryani category & 10x of order intent keywords (order biryani online)
- Highest Customer Market share across category across aggregator network
4x increase in awareness.
- 4x growth in brand searches • 5x growth in web and app traffic • 3x growth in New Customers • 3x growth in transactions and revenue
- 25% reduction in CPP post-campaign period • 86% higher ad recall (Youtube Brandlift survey) • 45% higher brand awareness (Youtube Brandlift survey)
- In the top quartile or above benchmark across target groups in Youtube Brand Lift Survey
- 2x growth in traffic post TV campaign with 40% Month on month brand growth
And thus, we cooked up a delicious campaign making Behrouz Biryani the most loved biryani brand of the country! After all, the Biryani that was worth a war, is definitely worth the 100+ Million Impressions. And guess what, Behrouz also won the ‘Best delivery restaurant’ in the Times Food & Nightlife awards.
Check out the Campaign Video here
Disclaimer: This case study & the corresponding data was submitted by Rebel Foods for CMS Asia awards and has not been edited by our editors.